Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Candle Day

The 40th day after Christmas is celebrated as 'Candelaria' signifying the time when Jesus Christ had made positive influences to the people near churches -also referred to as Epiphany. It is said that this day reminds us that we too should see the light that emanates from every individual. We should also be like a glowing candle - ever ready to give off light to its surroundings.

Today is one of our not-so-anticipated thesis day. I woke up early in order to finish our test plans and other submissibles due this day. I was even a bit 'ngarag' already when I went to school.

On the other side of things, our organization sponsors a mass scheduled 12 noon same time as the deadline for submission of our deliverables.

The good thing is that I was able to beat the deadline for our project and still be at the church on time for the mass (by the way, I even wore our org shirt ha...).

Then I remembered that today is 'candelaria' and the priest said that we should bring candles because they will be blessed. Consequently, there are some vendors selling candles outside the church so I immediately bought a long white candle and lit it as I go nearer the pew.

Indeed the priest made a short ceremony and started to bless the candles all around us. I happened to seat beside a woman who brought lots of candles to be blessed. I simply ignored her thinking that she may have some 'ritwal' or 'panata'.

After the ceremony, that same woman game me something that had a real impact on me. She really did lighten up my mood. She even knew what my current problems ware and said some encouraging words to brighten me up. I felt really happy. The intention of that mass had really happened on me.

And because of that incident, I felt stronger and had more faith in myself now. I know that I can do it, and I will surely do it!

No comments: