I like to think that I am a Filipino. That I am as good a Filipino as anyone. My heart thrills when I hear the national anthem being played. And my blood rises when I see our flag fluttering in the breeze.
And yet, I find myself asking, how Filipino am I really? My first name is American. My last name is Chinese. When I am with my friends, I talk to them in English. If they are thirsty, I buy them a bottle of American coke. If they are hungry, I treat them to an Italian pizza pie. And when I have the money, I give them a real chinese lauriat.
Considering all these, considering my taste for many things foreign, what right do I have to call myself a Filipino? Should I call myself a cultural orphan? The illegitimate child of many races?
All these sounds wonderful. But Rizal used Spanish when he wrote the Noli and the Fili. Whas he less of a nationalist because of it? Must the artist to be trully Filipino, paint with the juice of the duhat? And must draw pictures af topless Muslim women or of Igorot warriors in g-strings?
I say again. We are what we are today because of our history. In our veins pulses blood with traces of Chinese, Spanish, American, and Japanise - but it has became richer thereby. This mingling in fact could speed us on the road to national greatness. Look at America! It is a great country and yet it is a melting pot of various cultures.
I have an American firstname. And I have a Chinese lastname. And I am proud...very very proud. Because underneath these names, beats a Filipino heart.
THE ANATOMY OF A FILIPINO
by Amador T. Daguio
----------------
Is there anyone who could remember the piece written above? hehe...Yes..tama kayo. Yan ang ating winning piece nung tayo ay sumali sa Provincial Speech Choir competition ng mga Roverettes way back in high school.
Astig tau nun di ba? Tayo lang yung nagpresent na memorized yung piece by heart at with conviction yung pagkakadeliver ng mga lines. No need for a microphone dahil naturally amplified na ang mga boses natin, hahaha! wala silang panama sa atin!
hmmm...high school days o my high school days, ay exciting kay saya...Ü
"Those were the days my friend, we thought would never end. We sing and dance forever in a day. We make the life we chose. We find it'll never lose. Those were the days...oh yes those were the days..."
No comments:
Post a Comment